Open Government Data Initative DataLab (OGDI version 5) is an open source cloud-based Open Data catalogue. DataLab's powerful data service makes loading & consumption of data easy:
- Enables governments, citizens & developers to access, browse, visualize, analyze & download data in multiple formatsEnables access and interaction with data via web services & Open Standard APIs
- Is used & updated by the Open Source community - providing continuous new features, improvements & data visualizations
- Provides for reliability & scalability via cloud (grow compute requirements as catalogue grows)
OGDI has 3 components:
Data service is a fully-functional API that manages an Open Data catalogue, Open Data sets and allows programmatic access to data. It serves up data using a number of different formats such as ODP, KML, JSON, and JSONP.
- Browse the contents of datasets via an XML-based interface that uses an OpenData Standard
- On-the-fly querying of the catalogue via APIs
- Access data in a variety of formats
Data Loader is a software utility used to import the data into the catalogue from CSV and KML formats. Users can load data from a client machine but also create a command-line access to load datasets dynamically from databases into the DataLab.
Data Browser provides a web interface to the data service, giving users a visual way to browse, query, interact with and dowload data. It uses jQuery and a variety of other open source components to browse and query published data. The data can be conveniently visualized in widely used and recognizable formats such as tables, maps, bar graphs or pie charts.
- Navigate, search, and dynamically filter datasets
- Visualize and download datasets in a variety of formats
- Data Services & Data Browser could be used as a stand-alone application (could be embedded within an existing website)
- Easily integrates with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data formats